The Department of Mathematics established in the year 1986 and currently headed by Prof. Dr.S.K Uma. Over the years the department has evolved into a team of nine well qualified, experienced faculty members comprising two doctorate holders and three pursuing Ph.D. programme. As a result of its continuous, sincere and result oriented efforts as a team, the department has been witnessing excellent results consistently and every year a good number of students are scoring cent percent. The Department of Mathematics is mainly involved in teaching activities for UG / PG Programmes. Faculty members are actively engaged in research work and have published more than 40 papers in various National/ International conferences and refereed journals and also authored various textbooks on Engineering Mathematics and Indian mathematics and astronomy. The Department of Mathematics is a recognized VTU Research Centre for the Ph.D. programme.
- To achieve academic excellence in Mathematics thus enabling students to have enhanced opportunities in the field of Mathematics and Engineering.
- To provide the students with a strong Mathematical foundation which meets the requirement in the field of industry, research and higher education.
- To provide a degree course suitable for students enabling them to apply the concepts of mathematics to students.
- To prepare students for further study and in preparing successful career in industry and R&D organization.
- To provide students with knowledge of mathematics and in preparing successful career in industry and R&D organization.
|Dr. S.K.Uma||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Professor & HOD|
|Mrs. S Uma||M.Sc.||Associate Professor|
|Mrs. Chaya T.Y||M.Sc., M.Phil.,(Ph.D.)||Assistant Professor|
|Mr. Aravind P.N||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor|
|Mrs. Shuba R.N||M.Sc.(Ph.D.)||Assistant Professor|
|Mrs. Malashri S||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor|
|Mrs. Chetana M. B||M.Sc., (Ph.D.)||Assistant Professor|
- The Department of Mathematics is a recognized VTU Research Centre for the Ph.D programme.
- Many scholars are engaged in research, leading to Ph.D, Degrees.
- Three faculty members are pursuing Ph.D. at present.
- The department has produced excellent results consistently and every year a good number of students are scoring cent percent.
- The faculty members of the department are actively involved in various research activities such as guiding research scholars, publishing papers, executing funded projects, arranging and attending conferences and workshops.
- The faculty members of the Department are actively engaged in research work and have published more than 50 papers in various National/International conferences and refereed journals
- Faculty members have authored various textbooks on Engineering Mathematics and Indian mathematics and astronomy
Dr. Gangadharaiah Y.H authored two books published recently.
- Gangadharaiah Y.H et al. Marangoni Convection in Superposed Fluid and Anisotropic Porous Layers with Throughflow. Malaya Journal of Matematik vol.8, 3, 845-851,2020, (UGC Approved Journal).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H and Ananda K. Influence of viscosity variation on surface driven convection in a composite layer with a boundary slab of finite thickness and finite thermal conductivity. JP Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. vol.4, 2, 2020 (Scopus Indexed Journal).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H et al. Effects of Variable Internal Heat Source and Variable Gravity Field on Convection in a Porous Layer. Malaya Journal of Matematik8, 3, 2020(UGC ApprovedJournal).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H and Chaya T.Y. Combined Impact of Internal Heating and Variable Viscosity on the onset of Bernard-Marangoni Double Diffusive Convection in a Binary Fluid Layer. International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development Vol. 10, 2, 2020, 385-396,(Scopus Indexed Journal).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H et al. Combined impact of Variable Internal Heat Source and Variable Viscosity on the onset of Convective Motion in a Porous Layer. Malaya Journal of Matematik vol.8, 3,2020, (UGC Approved Journal).
- K. Uma et al. The Concepts of Deśāntara and Yojana in Indian Astronomy, Journal of Astronomical History and Heritate , 22(3), 401-406 (2019)
- Gangadharaiah Y.H has authored a text book titled - Mathematical Modelling & Engineering Problem Solving, Advance Academic Publisher-2019 ISBN: 978-93-87396-21-0
- Gangadharaiah Y.H has authored a text book titled - Engineering Mathematics-2 vol-1, Educreartion Publication india-2019, ISBN: 989-35-3731-20-5
- Gangadharaiah Y.H. has authored a text book titled - Engineering Mathematics-4 vol-1, Educreartion Publication india-2019,ISBN: 978-93-89534-87-9
- Gangadharaiah Y.H and Ananda K. Bounds on Rayleigh-Benard-Marangoni convection in a composite layer with conducting plates, International Journal of Scientific Research in Computer Science, Engineering and Information Technology 4, 9, 2019.
- K. Uma et al. Ahargana according to Makarandasāriņī and other Indian Astronomical Texts. Indian Journal Of Hostory of Science, 53 (1), pp 16-32 I.N.S.A. New Delhi 2018
- K. Uma et al. Solar Ingress (Sankrānti) According to Makarandasāriņī And Other Indian Astronomical texts, Journal of Astronomical History and Heritate 21 (2 and 3), 202-210 (2018)
- Gangadharaiah Y.H. Effect of Cross Diffusion on the Onset of Double Diffusive Marangoni Convection in a Fluid Layer. Journal of Advanced Research in Applied Mechanics & Computational Fluid Dynamics, 4 (3), 2018 (UGC Approved Journal).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H and Ananda K. Influence of Vertical Magnetic Field on the Onset of Rayleigh-Benard-Marangoni Convection in Superposed fluid and Porous Layers with Deformable Free Surface International Journal of Scientific Research in Mathematical and Statistical Sciences,5(5), 2018 (UGC Approved Journal).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H and Ananda K. Effects of Temperature dependent viscosity on Penetrative Convection in a Fluid Layer Bounded by Slabs of Finite Thermal Conductivity and Finite Thickness, International Journal of Scientific Research in Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, Vol.5 (5), 2018 (UGC Approved Journal).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H has authored a text book titled - Engineering Mathematics-1 vol-1, S.Chand Publication Delhi-2017, ISBN: 978-93-52830-70-1
- Gangadharaiah Y.H. has authored a text book titled - Engineering Mathematics-3 vol-1, S.Chand Publication Delhi-2017, ISBN: 978-93-52534-64-7
- Gangadharaiah Y.H Onset of Darcy–Benard Penetrative Convection in Porous Media, International Journal of Applied fluid mechanics. Vol.10(2), 2017. (Scopus & web of science Indexed Journal).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H Combined Effect of Magnetic field and Internal Heat Generation on the Onset of Marangoni Convection. International Journal of Fluid Mechanics & Thermal Sciences. Vol.3(4), 2017.
- Gangadharaiah Y.H Influence of Throughflow Effects Combined with Internal Heating on the Onset of Convection in a Fluid Layer. Journal of Advanced Mathematics and Applications. Vol.6 (3), 1-7 (2017).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H Review of Mathematical Approach to Engineering Problems. American Journal of Computer Science and Applications. Vol.6 (3), 1-3 (2017).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H. Onset of Benard–Marangoni Convection in a Composite Layer with Anisotropic Porous Material , International Journal of Applied fluid mechanics. 3 (9), 2016. (Scopus & web of science Indexed Journal).
- Gangadharaiah Y.H and Ananda K. Applications of Laplace Transforms in Engineering and Economics. International Journal of Trend in Research and Development, Vol 3 (1), 2016.
Principal Investigator: Dr. S. K. Uma
Title of Project
Name of Funding Agency
Date of Sanction
Status Ongoing/ Completed
|English Exposition, A Critical Analysis and Comparison with Other Indian Astronomical Tables||INSA||November 2015-2018||5.25 lakhs||Completed in 2018|
|“Tithicintāmaṇi of Ganeśa Daivajña – Translation and Mathematical Analysis”||INSA||August 2019||2.5 lakhs||On going|
|Sl.No||Name of the Candidate||USN||Year Of Registration||Research Centre||Name of Guide||Status of PhD/Research work (Cleared entrance/Completed Course work/ Comprehensive viva/ Submitted thesis etc)|
|1||Chayaty||1MV13PGN02||Oct 2013||Department of Mathematics, NHCE||Dr. Gangadharaiah Y. H.||In process of thesis submission|
|2||Chetana M Banuvalli||1MV17PGA01||May 2017||Department of Mathematics, Sir MVIT||Dr. S K Uma||Completed course work|
|3||Mamatha V||1MV19PMA01||June 2019||Department of Mathematics, Sir MVIT||Dr. Gangadharaiah Y. H.||Doing coursework|
|4||Shuba R N||1VI17PGA02||Feb 2017||Department of Mathematics. Vemana Institute of Technology||Dr. Jayalakshmamma D V||Course work completed|