The Department of Biotechnology was started the year 2002. Being the first institution under the Visvesvaraya Technology University (VTU) to recognize the need for an undergraduate technical program in biotechnology, Sir MVIT played a pioneering role in the formulation of the curriculum, starting with the preparation of draft syllabus, organization of seminars/conferences/workshops, initiating industry-institute interactions & so on. Today, the department is well established with an excellent infrastructure and a highly competent team of faculty members drawn from various fields such as Bioinformatics, Plant biotechnology, Microbial biotechnology, Protein biochemistry, Environmental Engineering, Bioprocess technology& Chemical Engineering. Apart from imparting quality education, this Department has distinguished itself in the sphere of R & D activities as well.
Our journey started during 2002, with the 4 year BE program and a humble intake of 30 students.The department obtained recognition as an R & D center by VTU in 2006, and in 2011 the MTech Program in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering was started as well. At the postgraduate level, we offer M. Tech., MSc (Engg.) by Research and Ph.D. degrees.
Over these 16 years, we have developed the department has steadily grown in terms of its facilities, academics, co-curricular and extracurricular activities. With a clear mission and vision, the Department of Biotechnology has moved forward in academia, securing a total of 21 University level ranks. Many of the graduates have pursued and are pursuing higher studies at various Universities in India and abroad like Indian Institute of Science, IITs, NIFTEM, VIT, Amity, North Carolina, Iowa, Warwick Nottingham, Exeter, Massey, Monash, Melbourne, Johns Hopkins, Texas, Georgetown, Georgia, Florida, Carnegie Melon, Upsala, Singapore, Max Planck, Maddison, Utah, Lousiana, Wageningen, Hamburg, Ludwick, etc. Our alumni are working at reputed organizations like IISc, IITs, NCBS, UAS, IIHR, , US-FDA, National Cancer Institute, Quintiles, Bio icon, Syngene, Monsanto, AstraZeneca, Strand Life Sciences, Sami Labs, Cerner, Dell, Ernst & Young, Goldmann Sachs, Infosys, Wipro, Cognizant, IBM, The Biocon Bristol-Myers Squibb Research & Development Center (BBRC) to name a few. Some of them have even started their own ventures as well, and become successful entrepreneurs. The R & D center has 22 Research Scholars registered for their higher degrees at the dept., and 11 have successfully finished their assignments. MOUs with 7 organizations have been signed for collaborative research activities. Funded projects worth Rs. 2.54 Crores from various funding agencies like KHT-UK, DST, DBT, ICMR UGC, VTU, VGST, KSPCB, BMS-USA etc., have been executed/carried out. DBT-BIG labs and BIRAC funded companies are executing projects worth Rs. 6.5 Crores on the campus. The faculty and students have been actively involved in Research projects in domains like Structural Biology, Bioinformatics, Environmental science, Herbal drugs, Microbiology, Fermentation technology, and Chemical Engineering. The faculty of the department has guided about 150+ UG/PG projects. The faculty and students have published over 76 Research Publications in various National/International Journals and presented over 95 posters at National/International Workshops. The highlight of the department is the establishing an incubation centre, where our BE and M. Tech alumni have set up start-up ventures on the campus for facilitating the conversion of PoCs to Product development and Commercialization.
Over the years, the department has conducted over 8 National Conferences, 65 Student Development programmes, 7 faculty development programmes, 8 curriculum development programmes, 45 industrial visits and 97 forum talks from eminent personalities. Regular Alumni and Parent teacher meets are organized by the department. Over 32 issues of the Department newsletter (Genesis) has been edited and published by students. About 95 prizes have been won by our students at various intercollegiate / inter-university sports / literary / art / cultural competitions
- To develop the department as a centre of excellence by promoting quality education, research and innovation for enabling sustainable growth and development in biotechnology
- To enable skill building in BT for addressing the needs of academia and industry through skill enhancement programs.
- To inculcate professional ethics and social responsibilities amongst the graduates through diverse activities.
- To foster innovation-based research activities and promote Entrepreneurial opportunities to address socio-economic issues via conferences and workshops.
- Identify, analyse and solve problems related to design, manufacture, operation and/or maintenance of biological and bioengineering systems.
- Apply modern tools and techniques to develop solutions for domain specific problems of socio-economic significance like hazard management, food and nutrition, healthcare etc.
- Work effectively as individuals and as team members in multidisciplinary project, displaying soft skills and due regard for the code of ethics and professional practice.
- Engage in lifelong learning, career enhancement and adapt to changing professional and societal needs.
- Graduates demonstrate strong theoretical basics and experimental skills in biosciences and bioengineering which serve as foundation elements for the program.
- Graduates capable of identification, formulation and analysis of data, based on research literature reviews to address complex problems in various spheres such as nutrition, healthcare and environment to name a few.
- Graduates capable of applying biotechnology - based ideas and strategies in individual and multidisciplinary activities in order to contribute to the global pool of essential information, knowledge and skills
- Graduates demonstrate entrepreneurial skills, while assimilating the elements of engineering management, IPR and allied domains.
|Dr. H .G. Nagendra||Prof & Head||Ph. D|
|Dr. Chandrashekhar Naik||Prof.||Ph. D|
|Dr. Mrinalini Menon||Assoc.Prof||Ph. D.|
|Dr. Rajendra Singh C||Assoc.Prof||Ph. D.|
|Dr. Priya Narayan||Assoc.Prof||M. Phil, Ph. D.|
|Mrs. A. Niveditha||Assoc.Prof||ME, (Ph. D)|
|Dr. Jagadeesh Kumar||Asst.Prof||M. Sc, Ph. D.|
|Dr. Sudevi Basu||Asst. Prof||M. Tech, Ph. D.|
|Mr. Manjunath R||Asst. Prof||M. Tech|
|Dr. Rashmi K V||Asst. Prof||M. Sc, Ph. D.|
|Mrs. Halima R.||Asst. Prof||M. Tech, (Ph. D)|
|Mr. Ishwar Chandra||Asst. Prof||M. Tech, (Ph. D)|
- BE in Biotechnology Engineering (4 Yrs)
- M.Tech in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering (2 Yrs)
- M.Sc in Biotechnology Engineering (by Research) (2 Yrs) – Research based program
- Ph.D. – Both Science and Engineering (3-6 Yrs) – Research based program
Year of Sanction
Total Amount Sanctioned
Name of The Staff
|“Development of Silkworm Rearing Techniques for Producing Naturally Coloured Cocoons and Fibres”||2018||DST (SEED)||24.86 Lakhs||Ms. Deepa, Dr. H G Nagendra|
|“Evaluation of a Non-Antibiotic Feed Supplement Towards Enhancement of Immune Response Against Mycoplasma Infection in Poultry to Prevent The Occurrence of Complicated Chronic Respiratory Disease ”||2018||BIRAC-PACE||49.75 Lakhs||Ms. Ashwathy Das, Dr. H G Nagendra|
|Development of Fusarium Resistant Banana CV Elakki Bale Through Chemical Mutagenesis of Embryogenic Cells and Mass Screening for Resistance||2018||BIRAC-SBIRI||34 lakhs (MVIT BT share –9 lakhs)||Dr. H G Nagendra|
|“Computational Strategies to Investigate the Therapeutic Potentials of Snake Venom Toxins for Specific Neuro-Degenerative Disorders”||2018||ICMR||16.54 lakhs||Dr. H G Nagendra, Mr. Jagadeesh Kumar|
|“Development of Fusarium Resistant Banana CV Elakki Bale Through Chemical Mutagenesis of Embryogenic Cells and Mass Screening for Resistance”||2017||BIPP-BIRAC (DBT-GoI)||27 lakhs||Dr. H G Nagendra, Mrs. Rashmi K V|
|Awareness of Women’s Legal Rights||2017||National Commission for Women for Conduct of College-Level Competition||23,505/-||D. Minalini Menon|
|Unexplored Bioactivity Studies from Fluid Extracts of Spathodea Companulat||2017||BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB||3.14 lakhs||Dr. Rajendra Singh|
|Bench Scale Production of Snowflake Cordyceps and Cordyceps Militaris through Solid State and Submerged Fermentation, Respectively for Nutraceutical Applications||2017||BIPP-BIRAC (DBT-GOI) for 264.35 INR Lakhs (BIRAC Support to MVIT 68.50 Lakhs INR||264.35 lakhs [Support to MVIT 68.5 lakhs]||Dr. Priya Narayan|
|Insitu Solution for Heavy Metal Contaminated Lake Waters of Bangalore||2017||KSCST||7000 /-||Dr. Priya Narayan|
|Entitled “Evaluation Of Pesticide Induced Neurotoxicity / Carcinogenicity in Common Fruits / Vegetables, Towards Suggesting an Alternative Herbal Formulation as a Potential Bio-Pesticide”||2017||KSCST||6500/-||Mr. Jagadeesh Kumar|
|Heavy Metal Removal from Contaminated Lakes of Bangalore||2017||KSPCB||50000/-||Dr. Priya Narayan, Mr. Harish B G|
|“Establishment of Pilot-Scale Supercritical Fluid Extraction Unit for Nutraceutical and Cosmoceutical Products Development”||2016||Collaborative Project Funded by BIPP-BIRAC (DBT-GOI)||201 lakhs (MVIT-BT share 24.60 lakhs)||Dr. H G Nagendra|
|“Molecular Cloning Expression and Characterisation of Thermostable Thrombolytic (Blood Clot Dissolving) Metalloprotease from an Alkalophilic Bacillus Subtilis Into Pichia Pastoris”||2016||DST/SERB||11 Lakhs||Dr. Chandrashekhar Naik|
|Green Synthesis and Characterization of Silver Nanoparticles from Jatropha Curcas to Enhance Lipase Activity||2016||KSCST||9000/-||Mrs. Halima R|
Name of the Incubation Centre
Year of Establishment
Name of activities carried out in the Incubation Centre during Jan 2017- Dec 2017
No. of Involved Students
|Technology Incubation Centre, Sir M Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology||2013||
- Infrastructure Resources at the various labs worth Rs. 2.55 Crores
- Recognized as a Research Center by VTU in 2005
- Funded projects executed / being carried out – Funding to the tune of Rs. 2.42 Crores
- 7 functional MOUs with organizations (industries & institutes)
- Business Incubation Centre by the New Start-ups (8 projects – 4 companies)
- 12 Research scholars & project assistants working under the department faculty
- 05 MSc Engineering Degrees and 4PhD Degree Awarded to Candidates
- 77 Research Publications from the department faculty and students
- 38 Projects carried out by students from other organization (Training & Consultancy )
- 78 Presentations at National/International Conferences by the department faculty
- 8 Memberships with Professional Bodies
- 9 National/International Conferences conducted
- 63 Student Development Programmes conducted
- 13 Faculty Development Programmes conducted
- 18 Curriculum Development Programmes conducted
- 46 Industrial visits organized for students
- 115 Expert Talks under the departmental forum (JAIVIK) conducted
- 19 University ranks obtained
- 110 prizes won by our students at intercollegiate/inter-university competitions
- 9 Proactive alumni-meets conducted by the department
- 35 Issues of Department News Letter (Genesis) edited by the students
12 UG UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDERS - BE
|Photo||Name||Rank||Year of Graduation|
|Sarika Y||3rd Rank||2006|
|Revathi D.S||7th Rank||2006|
|Manjeet Mukherjee||9th Rank||2007|
|Prajna Shanbhogue||6th Rank||2010|
|Vinaya Viswanathan||2nd Rank||2011|
|Anjana Kamath||5th Rank||2011|
|Donna Belle James||9th Rank||2011|
|Nayana N||10th Rank||2011|
|Harshitha A||8th Rank||2012|
|B Aparna||10th Rank||2016|
|Arpita Ananth||9th Rank||2017|
|Unni Maya||10th Rank||2017|
|Bhavana Nagaraja||9th Rank||2019|
|Pooja H.V||5th Rank||2019|
|Sonli S Naik||2nd Rank||2019|
6 PG UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDERS – M.TECH
|Photo||Name||Rank||Year of Graduation|
|G U L Mounika||1st Rank||2012|
|Ojal Sarah Paul||2nd Rank||2012|
|Shubha B||3rd Rank||2012|
|Aparna Sahajan||1st Rank||2013|
|Roopa A||2nd Rank||2013|
|Lakshmi N||3rd Rank||2013|
|2016 - 17||57.4%||OMICS, Accenture Syngene, Infosys, mu sigma, L&T Infotech, Endurance, TCS, Kirusa, Temenos, IBM||3,50,000|
|2017 - 18||66%||Temenos, Omics International, Endurance, Torry Harris, Accenture||3,60,000|
|2018 - 2019||41%||L&T Infotech ,Omics International, Infosys(Pool).||3,50,000|
|Mr. Hariharan P||Instructor||M.Sc, (Ph.D)|
|Mr. Narasimha Murthy||Asst.Instructor||DME, BA|
|Mrs. Shery Mol S M||Deo||B.Sc, M.Sc [SE]|
|Mrs. Lashmi Priya M R||Lab Instructor||BE|