Sir M Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology (Sir MVIT) offers M.Sc (Engg) / Ph.D (by Research) Course, which is a research oriented course to cater those who want to pursue their Research on Science & Biotechnology. The admissions for these research programs are done according to the respective rules framed by the university. All programs are affiliated to VTU and recognized by AICTE.
Admission to the M.Sc.(Engg)/ Ph.D (by Research) Course shall be open to candidates who satisfy any of the following requirements:
- Candidates who have passed B.E. / B.Tech. Examination of VTU or B.E. / B.Tech. of any other recognized University, recognized by this University as equivalent thereto or any other examination recognized by this University as equivalent thereto and have passed the prescribed qualifying examination with not less than 60% of the marks in the aggregate, in the examinations of the semesters considered for the declaration of class/grade. However, a relaxation to the extent of 10% shall be allowed for candidates belonging to SC/ST and any other category as notified by Government of Karnataka from time to time;
- Teaching / Research Staff / Teaching Assistants, working in any Engineering College and Polytechnic Institutions recognised by AICTE either in the State of Karnataka or outside, who have passed B.E / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of teaching experience in Engineering Colleges / Research Organisations and sponsored by the respective Institutions / DTE in case of aided institutions;
- Employees of the State Government/Central Government/Quasi Government Organizations/Public Sector Industries/Reputed Private Industries, who have passed B.E./B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience and are sponsored by the concerned Organizations.
- Awardees of research fellowship by nationally recognised bodies like CSIR etc., provided they have B.E. / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience.
- The candidate shall submit his / her application for registration to the University in the prescribed form along with other necessary documents viz., degree certificate, marks cards of all examinations, employers’ certificate and no objection certificate from the employer, consent of the Guide, through the Head of the Institution where the candidate intends to do research. The Head of the Institution shall forward the application of the candidate along with the Bio-Data of the Guide, his/ her degree certificate and list of Research publications to the University. In case of employed candidates, no objection certificate from the employers for pursuing research shall be necessary
- At the time of registration the candidate shall indicate the topic of research, scope of research and the related branch of Engineering/ Technology or Allied Fields. The candidate can register in only such branch of Engineering for which the department is recognized as research centre by VTU.
- The University shall call for Applications for registration in the months of January and July of every year. The M.Sc.(Engg.) by Research / Ph.D. Registration Committee shall meet in the months of February and August of every year to consider applications of the candidates for registration and the eligibility and recognitions of the Guides. The Committee may invite the Guides for the meeting if necessary. In exceptional cases, subject to the approval of the Vice Chancellor, it shall be open to the Chairman of the Committee to invite other specialists, wherever necessary, by recording the reasons in writing for such an invitation. The Committee shall send its recommendations regarding the provisional registration to the University immediately after the meeting. The Process shall normally be completed by March and September respectively of the same year, and soon thereafter the University shall communicate the decision to the candidate, the Guide and the concerned Head of the Institution.
- The candidate so registered shall complete PART-I course work and PART – II Dissertation at the institution where he/ she has registered.
- The provisional Registration of the candidate shall be confirmed on successful completion of the course work.