The Department is looked upon as a centre of excellence in the Institute. The department offers a stimulating environment for its students to execute their project work, to identify and seek solutions to the problems of industries. A student graduating from the department will have the ability to build, motivate, lead project teams effectively, competent to solve complex technical problems and organizational issues. The department has qualified, experienced and committed teaching and non-teaching faculty.
To be a pioneer in imparting quality technical education of high standards to produce skilled manpower with trained intelligence and emotional balance
To nurture an integrated growth of talented youngsters and enrich their knowledge in modern branches of electrical sciences and develop them into competent technocrats and disciplined humans beneficial to global society.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEO’S)
- Graduates of the program will have a successful career with sound base in domain specific engineering skills.
- Graduates of the program will be capable of succeeding in diverse engineering fields providing innovative solutions with ethical and social responsibility.
- Graduates of the program will continue to pursue professional development and engage in life-long learning.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
- Comprehend the breadth and depth of electrical and electronics engineering and apply their knowledge in the fields of power system, power electronics and drives.
- Enhance their career by adapting contemporary tools and techniques to augment electrical and electronic systems.
Students Intake: 120
|Mr. M S Suresh||M.Tech. (P.S.)||HOD I/C & Asso.Professor|
|Mr. C V Mohan||M.E. (P.S)||Associate Professor|
Mrs. D Beula
|M.E. (P.S)||Associate Professor|
|Mrs. Nanda M Shivamoggi||M.Tech (Power energy and system)||Asst. Professor|
|Mrs. Subha R||M.Tech (Electrical Drives & Control)||Asst. Professor|
|Mr. Sivapriyan R||M.Tech (P.E)||Asst. Professor|
|Mrs. Sumalatha P||M.Tech||Asst. Professor|
|Mrs. Rekha Radhakrishnan||B.Tech & M.E||Asst. Professor|
|Ms. Reshma TM
|Ms. Nayana B R||M.Tech (Signal Processing)||Asst. Professor|
|Ms. Sreedevi K
|Mr. Kumara swamy R||M.Tech (Computer applications in Industrial Drives)||Asst. Professor|
|Mrs. K S Resnitha||M.Tech (Power Electronics)||Asst. Professor|
|Mrs. Bindiya Tyagi
||M.Sc Engg. (DSP applications in High Voltage)||Asst. Professor|
|Ms. Vineetha P Raj
||M.Tech (Computer applications in Industrial Drives)||Asst. Professor|
|Mr. Harsha A R
||M.Tech (Power Electronics)||Asst. Professor|
|Mr. Nitin Kumar Reddy KN
|Ms. Ragasudha C P
|Mr. Kiran Kumar MK
|Mr. Jankib Borad
|Ms. Vidiya Shree N.A
Areas of specialization : High Voltage Engineering, Power Electronics, Power Systems, Electrical Machines, Control Systems and Industrial Drives
- Analog Electronics Lab
- Logic Design Lab
- Microcontroller Lab
- Power Electronics Lab
- D.C Machines & Synchronous Machines Lab
- Circuits Simulation & Measurements Lab
- Transformers & Induction Machines Lab
- Control Systems Lab
- Relay & High Voltage Lab
- Power Systems Simulation Lab
- Project Lab
Research & Development Centre:
The Department has been recognized as an R & D Centre by the Visvesvaraya Technological University. Faculty from other Institutions/Industries can register for M.Sc.(Engg.) and Ph.D at this centre. Under the guidance of Dr. M.S. Indira, Research Guide, SMVIT Research Centre for Electrical & Electronics the following staff are pursuing their PhD degrees.
- Faculty pursuing Ph.D by Research
|Name of the Research Scholar||Research Topic/Title||Discipline||Name of the Guide|
|M.S. Suresh||AI Application to Power Systems||Power Systems||Dr. M.S. Indira|
|N. Balaji||Power Converting Equipments||Power Electronics|
|C V Mohan||Integration of Renewable Energy Source & Distributed Generation into Power System||Power Systems|
|R. Sivapriyan||Design of Power Converters||Power Electronics|
|D. Beula||Cost effective,energy efficient High Voltage Low Current Power Supply System||Power Electronics|
- No. of papers published by faculty at national and international conferences: 13
Design and Development of a Electronic Power Controller for low current and high voltage power supply units.
Grant : Rs. 4.4 lakhs
Sanctioned in 2010
|Dr. M.S. Indira Mr. N Balaji
(Currently running project)
|Funding Agency: Sri KET
Transformer for Under Water Applications
Grants: Rs. 0466 Lakhs
|Prof. V.D. Shankarlal
The department has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with M/s Power Research and Development Consultants (PRDC) in the field of Research Projects; develop pool of technical talent, infrastructure sharing and collaborative training programmes for students
The R & D Centre of the department offers project to Post Graduate students in the area of Power Electronics and Power Systems.
Staff Development Programs in the recent past
1. A Two day workshop on “Power Electronics in Smart Grid” held on 22-23 July 2011
2. Two day workshop on “Finalization of draft syllabus of B.E. Course in Electrical and Electronics Engg, (V to VIII Semesters) held on 19th and 20th May 2008.
3. Four day workshop on PIC Microcontroller 16F was organized for the dept. staff during February -March 2009.
Student Development Programs
1. A one day workshop on “Control System Modelling & Simulation using Mat Lab” held on 24 September 2011.
2. A four day workshop on “PIC Microcontroller 16F” was organized for the students of 5TH Semester during August September 2008.
3. A four day workshop on “Hands on experience training programme for assembling and testing Printed Circuit boards for analog electronics circuit’s experimental modules” was held for the 3rd Semester students during Aug-Sep 2009.
|V||01/10/2005||Hydel Power Plant at Hemmige Village|
|VI||12/04/2006||Hoodi Substation at White Field, Bangalore|
|VII||18/11/2006||Power Generation Station at Shimshapura and Shivanasamudra|
|IV||26/04/2008||Madhavamanthri Mini Hydel Power Project near Talakadu, Mysore District|
|VII||09-12/11/2008||Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research
Madras Atomic Power Station , Kalpakkam , Tamil Nadu
Members attended: Prof. M.V. Bhaskara Rao
Agasthya Ayachit, Niranjan S.M. , Arun M.S. Bhushan N, Muthukumar, Naveen R, Syed Usaid K.
LIST OF RANK HOLDERS
|Sl. No.||Register No.||Name of the student||Rank obtained||Year of passing|
The department forum “Vidhyut ” regularly organizes seminars by Eminent Academicians and Industrialists on various advanced topics which are useful to students.
List of recipients and events of students participated and won awards or prizes in various events are listed below
Technical Paper Presentation
- 1. Arvind T.S. (VIII SEM) I Prize
- 2. Gayathri (VI SEM) II Prize
- 3. Jyothi (VI SEM) II Prize
- 4. Samik Bhattacharya (VI SEM) III Prize
Trouble Shooting – Prize winners
1. Abhith .K (IV SEM) I Prize
2. Sudarshan (IV SEM) I Prize
3. Yogesh Kumar (II SEM) II Prize
4. Anoop J.S. (VIII SEM) III Prize
5. Soumya A (VIII SEM) III Prize
Poster making competition
1. Abirami A VI SEM (EE) I Prize
2. Sowmya A IV SEM (EE) II Prize
Sketch and Phrase – Topic Energy Conservation
Anwesh Yashraj III SEM III Prize
Collage- Non conventional energy sources
1. Abirami A VII SEM I Prize
2. Shishir Bhaskarwar I SEM EE II Prize
Power Point Presentation
Ashwini R V SEM II Prize2
Vivek S P had secured First place in Street play as part of Utsav 2007 held at BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore.
VTU Cross Country race conducted at VVCE, Mysore on 5th March 2006
Philson J Philip VIII SEM 6th Place Mohith Madhyastha VIII SEM 7th Place Akilesh M VI SEM 14th Place Mallikarjun R Patil VI SEM 44th Place
Sachin M Balgi (1MV05EE042) VII Sem B.E. (EE) represented VTU Kho Kho Team and participated in South Zone interuniversity Kho Kho Tournament held at Visakapatnam, A.P on 20th -24th January 2009.
VTU Inter University Judo wrestling Gymnasium competitions conducted by MCE, Hassan on 15th and 16th October 2008
Channappa U M 1MV05EE016 V SEM 66 Kgs