Electrical & Electronics Engineering
Department Accredited By NBA / AICTE
The Department is looked upon as a centre of excellence in the Institute. The department offers a stimulating environment for its students to execute their project work, to identify and seek solutions to the problems of industries. A student graduating from the department will have the ability to build, motivate, lead project teams effectively, competent to solve complex technical problems and organizational issues.
The department has qualified, experienced and committed teaching faculty.
Students Intake: 120
|Dr. M.S. Indira||Ph.D.||Principal|
|Mr. N Balaji||M.Tech.(Electrical Machines & Industrial Drives)||Asst. Professor & I/c HOD|
|Mr. S Satish Chandra||M.E. (P.S)||Asst. Professor|
|Mr. M S Suresh||M.Tech. (P.S.)||Asst. Professor|
|Mr. C V Mohan||M.E. (P.S)||Asst. Professor|
|Mr. V.D. Shankarlal||M.Sc. (Engg.) (P.S)||Asst. Professor|
|Mrs. D Beula||M.E. (P.S)||Sr. Lecturer|
|Mrs. Nanda M Shivamoggi||M.Tech
|Mrs. Geetha D||M.Tech (C.S)||Lecturer|
|Mrs. Subha R||M.Tech (Electrical Drives & Control)||Lecturer|
|Mr. Sivapriyan R||M.Tech (P.E)||Lecturer|
|Mrs. Rekha Murthy||M.Tech (Electronics)||Lecturer|
|Mrs. Mukur Guptha||M.Tech||Lecturer|
|Mrs. Sumalatha P
|Mrs. Rekha Radhakrishnan
||B.Tech & M.E||Lecturer|
||B.Tech & M.E||Lecturer|
Areas of specialization : High Voltage Engineering, Power Electronics, Power Systems, Electrical Machines, Control Systems and Industrial Drives
- Analog Electronics Lab
- Logic Design Lab
- Microcontroller Lab
- Power Electronics Lab
- D.C Machines & Synchronous Machines Lab
- Circuits Simulation & Measurements Lab
- Transformers & Induction Machines Lab
- Control Systems Lab
- Relay & High Voltage Lab
- Power Systems Simulation Lab
- Project Lab
Research & Development Centre:
The Department has been recognized as an R & D Centre by the Visvesvaraya Technological University. Faculty from other Institutions/Industries can register for M.Sc.(Engg.) and Ph.D at this centre. Under the guidance of Dr. M.S. Indira, Research Guide, SMVIT Research Centre for Electrical & Electronics the following staff are pursuing their PhD degrees.
- Faculty pursuing Ph.D by Research
|Name of the Research Scholar||Research Topic/Title||Discipline||Name of the Guide|
|M.S. Suresh||AI Application to Power Systems||Power Systems||Dr. M.S. Indira|
|N. Balaji||Power Converting Equipments||Power Electronics|
|C V Mohan||Integration of Renewable Energy Source & Distributed Generation into Power System||Power Systems|
|R. Sivapriyan||Design of Power Converters||Power Electronics|
|D. Beula||Cost effective,energy efficient High Voltage Low Current Power Supply System||Power Electronics|
- No. of papers published by faculty at national and international conferences: 13
Design and Development of a Electronic Power Controller for low current and high voltage power supply units.
Grant : Rs. 4.4 lakhs
Sanctioned in 2010
|Dr. M.S. Indira Mr. N Balaji
(Currently running project)
|Funding Agency: Sri KET
Transformer for Under Water Applications
Grants: Rs. 0466 Lakhs
|Prof. V.D. Shankarlal
The department has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with M/s Power Research and Development Consultants (PRDC) in the field of Research Projects; develop pool of technical talent, infrastructure sharing and collaborative training programmes for students
The R & D Centre of the department offers project to Post Graduate students in the area of Power Electronics and Power Systems.
Staff Development Programs in the recent past
1. A Two day workshop on “Power Electronics in Smart Grid” held on 22-23 July 2011
2. Two day workshop on “Finalization of draft syllabus of B.E. Course in Electrical and Electronics Engg, (V to VIII Semesters) held on 19th and 20th May 2008.
3. Four day workshop on PIC Microcontroller 16F was organized for the dept. staff during February -March 2009.
Student Development Programs
1. A one day workshop on “Control System Modelling & Simulation using Mat Lab” held on 24 September 2011.
2. A four day workshop on “PIC Microcontroller 16F” was organized for the students of 5TH Semester during August September 2008.
3. A four day workshop on “Hands on experience training programme for assembling and testing Printed Circuit boards for analog electronics circuit’s experimental modules” was held for the 3rd Semester students during Aug-Sep 2009.
|V||01/10/2005||Hydel Power Plant at Hemmige Village|
|VI||12/04/2006||Hoodi Substation at White Field, Bangalore|
|VII||18/11/2006||Power Generation Station at Shimshapura and Shivanasamudra|
|IV||26/04/2008||Madhavamanthri Mini Hydel Power Project near Talakadu, Mysore District|
|VII||09-12/11/2008||Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research
Madras Atomic Power Station , Kalpakkam , Tamil Nadu
Members attended: Prof. M.V. Bhaskara Rao
Agasthya Ayachit, Niranjan S.M. , Arun M.S. Bhushan N, Muthukumar, Naveen R, Syed Usaid K.
LIST OF RANK HOLDERS
|Sl. No.||Register No.||Name of the student||Rank obtained||Year of passing|
The department forum “Vidhyut ” regularly organizes seminars by Eminent Academicians and Industrialists on various advanced topics which are useful to students.
List of recipients and events of students participated and won awards or prizes in various events are listed below
- Technical Paper Presentation
1. Arvind T.S. (VIII SEM) I Prize
2. Gayathri (VI SEM) II Prize
3. Jyothi (VI SEM) II Prize
4. Samik Bhattacharya (VI SEM) III Prize
Trouble Shooting – Prize winners
1. Abhith .K (IV SEM) I Prize
2. Sudarshan (IV SEM) I Prize
3. Yogesh Kumar (II SEM) II Prize
4. Anoop J.S. (VIII SEM) III Prize
5. Soumya A (VIII SEM) III Prize
Poster making competition
1. Abirami A VI SEM (EE) I Prize
2. Sowmya A IV SEM (EE) II Prize
Sketch and Phrase – Topic Energy Conservation
Anwesh Yashraj III SEM III Prize
Collage- Non conventional energy sources
1. Abirami A VII SEM I Prize
2. Shishir Bhaskarwar I SEM EE II Prize
Power Point Presentation
Ashwini R V SEM II Prize2
Vivek S P had secured First place in Street play as part of Utsav 2007 held at BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore.
VTU Cross Country race conducted at VVCE, Mysore on 5th March 2006
Philson J Philip VIII SEM 6th Place Mohith Madhyastha VIII SEM 7th Place Akilesh M VI SEM 14th Place Mallikarjun R Patil VI SEM 44th Place
Sachin M Balgi (1MV05EE042) VII Sem B.E. (EE) represented VTU Kho Kho Team and participated in South Zone interuniversity Kho Kho Tournament held at Visakapatnam, A.P on 20th -24th January 2009.
VTU Inter University Judo wrestling Gymnasium competitions conducted by MCE, Hassan on 15th and 16th October 2008
Channappa U M 1MV05EE016 V SEM 66 Kgs